My Introduction

My name is Eli Miller.

I am studying Psychology to become a sex therapist in the future.

I find the impact of mental issues like trauma on physical things like sex and interpersonal relationships to be fascinating and it makes me feel called to action.

Scarred Man Playing Basketball -thephoblographer.com
I think "art" is a title for any type of medium we can use to encourage someone to feel something, anything, as long as it provokes some sort of thought or emotion. This is why art that is subversive or unsettling has a strong impact and is what stands the test of time. When a work of art leaves a scar on you that won't heal, it changes you and becomes a part of you, making it tougher to forget.

"Innumerable confusions and a profound feeling of despair invariably emerge in periods of great technological and cultural transitions. Our "Age of Anxiety" is, in great part, the result of trying to do today's job with yesterday's tools-with yesterday's concepts" (McLauhan 9). 



Bill Plympton's Your Face Cover


Personally, I have worked in mediums like collage, marbling, veil painting, and 3D printing which rely less on foundational art skills and bypass the barrier to entry for self-expression. When I look back at artists who have impacted me I put them into two camps: The visual artists like Bill Plympton, and the audio artists like Smino and JID all pictured below. Bill Plymton is an animator who distorts human forms and has lots of interesting commentary on concepts like american gluttony for food, money, and other types of hedonism. Smino and JID are both similar artists who's songs poetically cover the gritty details of racial inequity in America through feats of poetic lyricism that stand out amoungs others of their generation.

Smino 2020 wild Irish roses photoshoot


JID 2022 Spotify Profile
                 





These are the minds that have shaped the end goal of my artisitic endevors. Knowing the level to which I want my art to make others feel, I can be critical of my own work until whatever medium I am using can have the impact I am looking to make.                                                                                                                                                                        














Comments

  1. I like your idea of becoming a therapist in the future, and I like your idea of having pictures here, and it can help give your clients a chance to tell you what they think about the pictures.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

In With The New

Cold Milk